Italian Wedding Soup is a classic Italian-American dish with a great mix of vegetables, pasta and tiny meatballs. Its name comes from the fact the meat and vegetable taste great together – they are a perfect marriage!
- 2 quarts (64 oz.) low-sodium Chicken Stock
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 celery Stalk, diced
- ½ cup small dry pasta, such as elbow or ditalini
- 1 pound ground Pork
- ½ tsp salt and pepper
- ¼ cup bread crumbs
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- 1 cup green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces (fresh or frozen)
- 1 (15 oz.) can chick peas (also called garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
- In a large pot, bring chicken stock, carrot, celery and pasta to a boil.
- Turn heat down to medium and simmer for 10 minutes.
- While the soup simmers, make the meatballs.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine ground pork, bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. Form mixture into ½-inch meatballs.
- Drop the meatballs into the simmering soup and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the green beans and chick peas and cook an additional 5 minutes.
Serve warm. Makes 9 cups.