No one will guess that you threw together this elegant sauce from a few pantry staples in your spare time. Roasting the pears intensifies their sweetness and lends them a toasted aura that is the perfect counterpoint to tart, whole-berry cranberry sauce. The sweet and tart flavors combine perfectly in a nourishing relish to partner with roast turkey or any roasted meat – and offer one more way to enjoy fruit in your menu!
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) pear halves in juice, drained and cut in 1/2-inch chunks
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon finely crushed, dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup pecan pieces
- 1 can (16 ounces) whole-berry cranberry sauce
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Blot pear chunks with paper towels to absorb all surface moisture.
- Toss with olive oil, rosemary, salt and pepper on a large rimmed sheet pan and spread into an even layer.
- Roast for 10 minutes.
- Toss, scatter pecans on top and roast five more minutes.
- Transfer to a bowl, cool for 10 minutes and fold in cranberry sauce.
Recipe provided by USDA MyPlate Kids Partner Group member: Canned Food Alliance