Roasted Pear and Squash Soup with Parmesan Croutons
- 2 lbs delicata or butternut squash, halved lengthwise and seeded
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 firm but ripe Anjou or Bartlett USA Pears, halved lengthwise and cored
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- ¼ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups ½-inch cubes of French bread, crusts removed
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°. Brush the flesh of the squash and pears with olive oil and place cut side down on a rimmed baking sheet. Roast 30 – 35 minutes or until tender.
- Scrape out the flesh of the squash and pears with a spoon and put in a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Discard the skins. Puree until smooth. Add 1 – 2 cups chicken broth and continue processing until smooth. Pour mixture into a saucepan; add the remaining chicken broth, cream, nutmeg, and sugar. Bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer for 10 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Place bread cubes in a large mixing bowl. Drizzle the olive oil over, add Parmesan, and toss until coated. Spread in an even layer on a rimmed baking sheet and bake 10 – 12 minutes until toasty brown.
- To serve, ladle the soup into individual soup bowls and garnish with croutons.