Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
Don’t waste pumpkin seeds after cooking or making jack-o-lanterns. It is easy to roast the seeds for a delicious and nutritious snack. The hulls are a great source of fiber with the seeds containing a high amount of phosphorus.
- 1 quart water
- 1 Tbsp. salt
- 2 cups pumpkin seeds
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil or melted, unsalted butter (optional)
- Preheat oven to 250°F
- Pick through seeds and remove any cut seeds. Remove as much of the stringy fibers as possible.
- Bring the water and salt to a boil. Add the seeds and boil for 10 minutes.
- Drain, spread on kitchen towel or paper towel and pat dry.
- Place the seeds in a bowl and toss with oil or melted butter. Spread evenly on a large cookie sheet or roasting pan (cover pan with aluminum foil for easy clean- up).
- Place pan in a preheated oven and roast the seeds for 30 to 40 minutes. Stir about every 10 minutes, until crisp and golden brown.
- Cool the seeds, then eat or pack in air-tight containers or zip closure bags and refrigerate until ready to eat.