Whole Grain Stuffing with Nuts, Seeds and Dried Fruit
- 6 Tbsp. butter or plant-based butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- ½ cup celery, diced
- 1 apple, peeled and diced
- ½ cup almonds, slivered
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 6 cups stale whole grain bread cubes
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray the bottom and sides of a 13X9-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large skillet melt butter (or plant-based butter) over medium heat. Add onions, celery and apples, season with salt and pepper and cook until onions are soft, about 3 minutes. Add the almonds, sunflower seeds, and dried cranberries. Add broth and bring to a simmer. Turn off heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs and parsley. Add the bread cubes, then pour the hot broth mixture over the egg/bread cube mixture. Toss gently to coat the bread cubes evenly.
- Transfer the stuffing into the baking dish. Cover with aluminum foil and bake 30 minutes, then uncover and bake until golden brown, about 30 more minutes.