Try sweet potatoes - the official vegetable of North Carolina!
Veggie Guide: Shopping, Storage, Preparation, and More
- Sweet potatoes should be firm, smooth shaped and have clean skin.
- Store unwashed in a dry, dark, cool place for 3-5 weeks.
- Scrub well under cold water and remove skin with vegetable peeler. If roasting or baking whole, keep the skin on.
- Eat stir-fried, baked, roasted or grilled.
- Tastes great with carrot, ham, lime, nuts or pineapple.
- Season with chili pepper, cinnamon, curry powder or maple syrup.
Start Simple with MyPlate
Starting simple is a great way to try out a new vegetable, like sweet potatoes. Here are a couple easy ways to enjoy them.
- Cut sweet potato into cubes and add the cubes to soup, stew or chili.
- Next time you make mashed potatoes, use half sweet potatoes and half white potatoes.
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- ½ cup (4 oz.) store-bought salsa
- 2 Tbsp cilantro, chopped
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- ½ small onion, diced
- 1 cup canned black beans,
rinsed and drained
- 1 ½ cups pepper jack cheese, shredded
- 6 (8-inch) flour tortillas
- Mash 1 pitted avocado with ¼ cup sour cream and 1 Tbsp lime juice in a bowl.
- Place sweet potatoes in a pot and cover with water. Cover pot with a lid and bring to a boil. Turn heat down to low and simmer for 15 minutes. Drain water. Mash sweet potatoes with a fork or potato masher. Stir in salsa and cilantro.
- Heat oil in a skillet pan over medium heat, add onions, and cook for 5 minutes. Add beans to the onion mixture. Cook for 2 more minutes. Turn off heat. Stir in sweet potato mixture.
- To make each burrito, spoon ¾ cup of the filling and ¼ cup shredded cheese on to a tortilla and roll up the tortillas. Repeat this step 5 times to make 6 burritos.
- Brown two sides of each burrito in a non-stick pan over medium heat.
- Serve with avocado crema.
Recipe is an excerpt from I ❤️ Vegetables book.
Free recipe cards below for download in English or Spanish.
Nutrition Facts per serving:
440 calories; 22g fat; 48g carbohydrates; 16g protein;
7g sugars; 35mg cholesterol; 490mg sodium
What Else is in Season
Other Vegetables in Season include:
- Bell Peppers
- Brussels sprouts
- Collard Greens
- Green Beans
- Sweet Potatoes/Yams
- Winter Squash
View our What’s In Season GUIDE for FALL for a printable, 2-sided, complete list of fruits and vegetables in season plus shopping, storage, preparation, and start simple tips.