- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup quick grits
- ½ tsp. pepper
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 3/4 cup Cheddar cheese, shredded
Bring water and chicken broth to a boil in a medium saucepan; gradually add grits, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low; simmer, covered, for 5-7 minutes or until thick, stirring occasionally. Stir in butter pepper and cheese. Cover so it stays warm while you make the shrimp.
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ½ tsp. hot sauce (such as Tabasco)
- ½ cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 bacon slices, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- ½ green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup chopped green onions, divided
- 1 ½ pounds large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Combine first 3 ingredients; set aside.
- Add bacon to a nonstick skillet and sauté over medium heat until crisp. Transfer the bacon to a plate; set aside. Add the onion, bell pepper and garlic to the skillet with the bacon drippings in it. Cook, stirring occasionally, vegetables for 5 minutes.
- Stir in shrimp, lemon juice mixture and 1/4 cup green onions; cook 5 minutes or until shrimp are done, stirring frequently.
- Serve shrimp mixture over grits; sprinkle with remaining the green onions and bacon bits.
Makes 6 servings