Mac n' Cheese with Chicken and Peas
- Classic Cheese Sauce (recipe below)
- 2 cups dry elbow macaroni pasta
- ½ cup frozen peas
- ½ cup cooked chicken, cubed or shredded
Ingredients: Classic Cheese Sauce
- 2 Tbsp. of butter or margarine
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- 1½ cups 2% low-fat milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Make classic cheese sauce (recipe below).
- Cook peas and macaroni according to the package directions. Drain in a colander and return to pan.
- Add peas, chicken and cheese sauce. Toss gently. Makes 5 servings.
Classic Cheese Sauce
In a medium-sized saucepan melt butter over medium heat. Add flour, cook for 2 minutes, while stirring. Continue to stir and SLOWLY pour in milk. Add cheese. Continue to stir until melted. Salt and pepper to taste.
This classic cheese sauce makes perfect Mac n’ Cheese and is also a winner over steamed vegetables, such as cauliflower, broccoli, and asparagus.