- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 medium tart red apple, cored and diced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 3 cups cooked brown rice (cooked in chicken broth)
- Cook almonds in butter in large skillet over medium-high heat until golden brown. Add apple, onion, celery, poultry seasoning, thyme and pepper; continue to cook until vegetables are tender crisp. Stir in rice; cook until thoroughly heated.
- Use as stuffing for poultry or pork roast, or bake tightly covered in a separate baking dish at 350 degrees 25 to 30 minutes.
Each serving provides 257 calories, 7 grams protein, 13 grams fat, 30 grams carbohydrate, 4 grams dietary fiber and 333 milligrams sodium.
Makes 6 servings
Recipe provided by USDA MyPlate Kids Partner Group member: USA Rice