- 1 tablespoon canola or vegetable oil
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (14.5-ounce can) Mexican-style or plain diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (15-ounce can) kidney beans, drained and rinsed (1 1/2 cups cooked kidney beans)
- 1 (15-ounce can) pinto or pink beans, drained and rinsed (1 1/2 cups cooked pinto beans)
- 1 (15-ounce can) black beans, drained and rinsed (1 1/2 cups cooked black beans)
- 1 cup frozen or canned whole-kernel corn, drained
- 4 cups hot, cooked brown or white rice
Heat oil in 3-quart saucepan over medium-high heat. Sauté green pepper, onion and garlic for 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in chili powder and cumin; heat 1 minute. Add tomatoes, beans and corn; stir well. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until beans are tender. Serve with rice.
Each serving provides 290 calories, 11 grams protein, 4 grams fat, 55 grams carbohydrate, 12 grams dietary fiber and 310 milligrams sodium.
Makes 8 1 ½ cup servings
Recipe provided by USDA MyPlate Kids Partner Group member: USA Rice