Spinach Ginger Soup
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 inch piece of ginger, minced
- 1 bag (10 oz) spinach, long stems removed
- 1 medium size potato, peeled and chopped
- 4 cups (32oz.) low-sodium vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 can (13 oz.) coconut milk
- Salt and pepper
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion, garlic and ginger and fry until softened but not brown, about 3-4 minutes
- Add spinach to the pan. Sir until spinach is wilted. Add the stock and potato and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for about 10-15 minutes. Let cool about 10 minutes.
- Pour soup into blender and process until smooth. Do not overfill the blender. Work in batches.
- Return soup to the pan, add coconut milk and season to taste with salt and pepper. Heat until almost boiling.
If coconut milk is not available, substitute 2% lowfat milk