Potato pancakes and applesauce are an authentic German treat and will make a delicious meal for your little ones.
- 2 medium Russet (baking) potatoes
- 2-3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- 4 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- ¼ tsp of each salt and pepper
- Dash of nutmeg
- Perfect Applesauce
- Wash, peel and grate potatoes (for grating use a box grater or a food processor). In a medium sized mixing bowl, beat the egg, scallions, flour, salt, pepper, nutmeg and egg. Add potatoes and mix thoroughly?
- Pour oil into a large, frying pan. The oil should cover the bottom of the pan about 1/8-inch deep. Heat oil on medium high heat. Using about 1/3 cup, drop the potato mixture into hot oil and flatten with the back of a spoon. Fry 3 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels and keep warm in low oven until serving time. Repeat until all potato mixture is used.
Makes: about 8 potato pancakes. Serve warm with applesauce.