A Guinness World Record for world’s largest green bean casserole was set by the Green Giant mascot. It weighed in at a whopping 637 pounds!
Veggie Guide: Shopping, Storage, Preparation, and More
- Choose bright green, firm beans.
- Refrigerate unwashed in a plastic bag for up to 7 days.
- Rinse and cut or snap off ends.
- Eat raw, blanched, steamed, sautéed or grilled
- Tastes great with almonds, bacon, corn, mushrooms or potato
- Season with mustard, parsley, red pepper flakes or tarragon
Start Simple with MyPlate
- Serve fresh green beans with dip.
- Sprinkle steamed green beans with parmesan or feta cheese.
- 2 strips bacon
- 1 ear sweet corn, kernels cut off cob
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 3/4 pound (12-oz) green beans, washed and trimmed
- Slice bacon into small (1/2 inch) pieces and fry in saucepan until crispy. Remove bacon from pan and drain on paper towel. Set aside.
- Leave 1 Tbsp of bacon grease in the pan and add the corn kernels. Cook about 5 minutes over medium high heat.
- Place beans in microwave-safe dish, cover and cook on HIGH for 3-4 minutes. Toss with butter and place in serving dish.
- Spoon the corn mixture over the green beans and sprinkle with bacon bits. Serve.
Nutrition Facts per serving:
110 calories; 8g fat; 8g carbohydrates; 3g protein;
2g sugars; 25mg cholesterol; 85mg sodium.