Did you know a fruit that is savory in flavor is treated as a vegetable from a culinary standpoint? Avocados have a dual role as a fruit and vegetable.
Veggie Guide: Shopping, Storage, Preparation, and More
- Choose an avocado that is heavy for its size, not too hard and without dark or soft spots.
- To ripen, store on the countertop or in a paper bag. For ripe avocados, refrigerate up to 3 days.
- Cut avocado in half longwise with a sharp knife. Separate the two pieces by twisting them in opposite directions.
- Remove the pit with a spoon. Peel off skin, then slice or dice into pieces.
- Eat raw
- Tastes great with black beans, chicken, mango, sour cream or tomato
- Season with cilantro, lemon, lime or salad dressing
Start Simple with MyPlate
Starting simple is a great way to try out a new vegetable, like avocados. Here are a couple easy ways to enjoy them.
- Easy Avocado Toast: Mash Avocado with lime or lemon juice, spread on toast, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Delish!
- Quick pasta sauce: Blend avocado, garlic, green onions and lemon juice in a blender until smooth. Toss with hot spaghetti.
- Make smoothie cubes: Mash avocados and lemon juice with a fork until smooth, then freeze the mixture in ice cube trays. Add a cube or two to a smoothie.
- 1 can (15 oz.) chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
- 1 avocado, pit and skin removed
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and chopped
- 2 Tbsp smooth peanut butter
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
- 1/4 cup water
- Place all the ingredients in a blender
and process until smooth. If needed,
add 1-2 Tbsp more water for a creamy texture.
Recipe is an excerpt from I ❤️ Vegetables book.
Free recipe cards below for download in English or Spanish.
Nutrition Facts per serving:
230 calories; 14g fat; 22g carbohydrates;
7g protein; 5g sugars; 0mg cholesterol; 200mg sodium.
What Else is in Season
Other Vegetables in Season include:
- Bell Peppers
- Brussels sprouts
- Collard Greens
- Green Beans
- Sweet Potatoes/Yams
- Winter Squash
View our What’s In Season GUIDE for FALL for a printable, 2-sided, complete list of fruits and vegetables in season plus shopping, storage, preparation, and start simple tips.