Believe it or not, tomatoes are not always red. Instead, they can come in a variety of colors including yellow, pink, purple, black and even white.
Veggie Guide: Shopping, Storage, Preparation, and More
- Choose tomatoes with a fresh smell, even-colored skin and firm texture.
- Store at room temperature for up to 1 week.
- Wash and remove core with a knife.
- Eat raw, roasted or grilled
- Tastes great with avocado, cheese, chickpeas, egg, onion or pasta
Start Simple with MyPlate
- Add diced tomatoes to scrambled eggs.
- Make fresh tomato sauce by sautéing diced tomatoes with olive oil and fresh garlic.
- Add sliced tomatoes to a grilled cheese sandwich.
- 1 can (15 oz.) black beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup frozen corn, thawed
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- ¼ cup red onion, chopped
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
(about 1 lime)
- In a large bowl, gently mix together beans, corn, tomatoes, onion and cilantro.
- Add lime juice and oil. Stir to coat. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Can be served immediately or set aside for 30 minutes for flavors to intensify.
Nutrition Facts per serving:
450 calories; 8g fat; 73g carbohydrates; 24g protein;
4g sugars; 0mg cholesterol; 10mg sodium.