- 2 Tbsp Oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 inch piece of ginger, finely chopped
- 10 oz of spinach with hard stems removed
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 medium size potato, peeled and chopped
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 can (13 oz.) coconut milk
- 1 Tbsp. mirin (rice wine) OR dry sherry
- Salt and pepper
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion, garlic and ginger and fry until softened but not brown (3-4 minutes)
- Add spinach and lemon zest to the pan. Sir until spinach is wilted. Add the stock and potato and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for about 10-15 minutes.
- Pour soup into blender or food processor, or use an immersion blender and process until smooth
- Return soup to the pan and add coconut milk, mirin/sherry and season to taste with salt and pepper. Heat until almost boiling.
Make it a meal tip: Consider this soup a vegetable and serve it with grilled chicken and warm whole-grain dinner rolls.