Okonomiyaki is a Japanese-style pancake and is very popular with kids. There are restaurants all over Japan that specialize in making Okonomiyaki. These places have special tables with a griddle built into them. Families are seated around the griddle, they cook their Okonomiyaki and eat them. We chose to make this dish with cabbage, green onion and shrimp, but you can use almost any shredded vegetable and chopped meat combination.
- ¼ cup Flour
- 1 tsp. Baking powder
- 1 Eggs
- 3 Tbsp. Water
- ¾ cup Nappa cabbage, shredded
- 5 Cooked shrimp, chopped or ¼ cup cooked chicken, chopped
- 2 Green onions (green parts only), chopped
- 3 Tbsp. Ketchup
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp. Soy sauce
- Combine flour and baking powder in a medium size mixing bowl. Gently mix in the water and egg. Next, add the cabbage, shrimp and green onions and mix them together thoroughly.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and lightly oil. Spoon the okonomiyaki mixture in to the skillet to make 2 pancakes (about 4-inches wide).
- Cook about 4-5 minutes and turn it over with a spatula and cook an additional 4 minutes. Both sides should be a light golden brown and the pancake will be firm in the center.
- Serve on a plate and spread the sauce over the okonomiyaki.