June Featured Vegetable:
It’s finally summer! Jump into June with tomatoes.
Veggie Guide: Shopping,
Storage, Preparation, and More
- Choose tomatoes with a fresh smell, even-colored skin and firm texture.
- Store at room temperature for up to 1 week.
- Wash and remove core with a knife.
- Eat raw, roasted or grilled
- Tastes great with avocado, cheese, chickpeas, egg, onion or pasta
Starting simple is a great way to try out a new vegetable, like tomatoes. Here are a couple easy ways to enjoy them.
- Add diced tomatoes to scrambled eggs.
- Make fresh tomato sauce by sautéing diced tomatoes with olive oil and fresh garlic.
- Add sliced tomatoes to a grilled cheese sandwich.
Black Bean, Corn & Tomato Salad
Serves 4 (1 cup servings)
- 1 can (15 oz.) black beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup frozen corn, thawed
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- ¼ cup red onion, chopped
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 Tbsp lime juice (about 1 lime
- In a large bowl, gently mix together beans, corn, tomatoes, onion and cilantro.
- Add lime juice and oil. Stir to coat. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Can be served immediately or set aside for 30 minutes for flavors to intensify.
Nutrition Facts per serving:
450 calories; 8g fat; 73g carbohydrates; 24g protein;
4g sugars; 0mg cholesterol; 10mg sodium..
Recipe is an excerpt from I ❤️Vegetables book.
Free recipe cards below for download in English or Spanish.
What Else is In Season
Other Vegetables in Season include:
- Bell Peppers
- Collard Greens
- Green Beans
- Lima Beans
- Summer Squash & Zucchini
View our What’s In Season GUIDE for SUMMER for a printable, 2-sided, complete list of fruits and vegetables in season plus shopping,
storage, preparation, and start simple tips.