July Featured Vegetable:
Celebrate July with broccoli.
Veggie Guide: Shopping,
Storage, Preparation, and More
- Look for light green stalks and bright green or purplish-green heads. Don’t buy broccoli with yellow heads.
- Refrigerate unwashed for up to 5 days.
- Wash before using. Remove any leaves. Both stems and flowers can be eaten.
- Eat raw, blanched, steamed, stir-fried or roasted
- Tastes great with breadcrumbs, cauliflower, cheese or chicken
- Season with curry, garlic or lemon
Starting simple is a great way to try out a new vegetable, like broccoli. Here are a couple easy ways to enjoy it.
- Toss steamed broccoli with pasta and alfredo sauce.
- Add chopped broccoli to scrambled eggs.
- Shred broccoli stalks and add them to coleslaw or green salads.
Broccoli & Ham Breakfast Bake
- 6 large eggs
- ½ cup 2% lowfat milk
- ¾ cup ham, diced
- 1 cup broccoli, chopped
- ½ cup frozen sweet corn
- ½ cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 Tbsp butter
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Place a 9×9-inch baking dish in the oven to warm.
- While the oven heats up, beat the eggs in a bowl and stir in the rest of the ingredients.
- Pull the baking dish out of the oven. Spread the butter
around the bottom and up the sides of the pan.
- Pour egg mixture into the dish.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes until center is dry.
Nutrition Facts per serving:
160 calories; 11g fat; 6g carbohydrates; 12g protein;
2g sugars; 210mg cholesterol; 330mg sodium..
Recipe is an excerpt from I ❤️Vegetables book.
Free recipe cards below for download in English or Spanish.
What Else is In Season
Other Vegetables in Season include:
- Bell Peppers
- Collard Greens
- Green Beans
- Lima Beans
- Summer Squash & Zucchini
View our What’s In Season GUIDE for SUMMER for a printable, 2-sided, complete list of fruits and vegetables in season plus shopping,
storage, preparation, and start simple tips.