Crunchy, cheesy, sweet, and fulfilling! Try this delicious grilled sandwich and you’ll see that pears are a surprisingly tasty addition to sandwiches.
- 4 slices sourdough, whole wheat, or white bread
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 ounces thinly sliced Black Forest ham
- 1 firm but ripe Bartlett or Anjou USA Pear, peeled, halved lengthwise, cored, and each half cut lengthwise into 3 thick slices
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 ounces Brie cheese, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- Preheat a panini maker or grill pan to medium-high heat.
- Place 2 slices of bread on a work surface and spread half of the mustard on each slice.
- Divide the ham between the 2 sandwiches and arrange on top.
- Add 3 slices of pear to each sandwich and grind a bit of pepper over the pear slices.
- Top the pears with slices of cheese.
- Place a slice of bread on top and butter the top slices of bread with half of the butter. If using a panini maker, butter both sides of the bread before grilling.
- Place the sandwiches in the panini maker and close the lid. Grill until nicely browned on both sides. For a grill or griddle, place the sandwiches buttered side down on the hot grill or griddle.
- Butter the top side of the sandwiches. Grill until nicely browned on one side and then flip and grill the other side.
- Cut each sandwich in half and serve immediately.
Makes 2 sandwiches
Recipe provided by USDA MyPlate Kids Partner Group member: USA Pears