- ½ lb. penne
- 2 tsp. vegetable oil
- 2 cups/8 oz. diced onion
- 4 cups/8 oz. sliced red cabbage
- ½ lb. bratwurst or other favorite German sausage
- 1 Granny Smith apple, cored and sliced (about 2 cups/8 oz.)
- 6 Tbsp./3 oz. German-style mustard (Dijon is fine too!)
- 3 Tbsp. chopped parsley
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the penne according to package directions. Drain and reserve.
- Heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the oil and onion and cook until the onion starts to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add the cabbage and cook until softened, another 5 minutes.
- Remove the sausage from its casing directly into the pan. Cook using a fork or whisk to break up the sausage into small pieces. Add the apple and continue to cook until it starts to soften and break apart (but not turn to mush), about 3 minutes. Stir in the mustard and penne. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper if needed. Divide between bowls and sprinkle with parsley.
Per serving: 250 calories, 10 g total fat, 3 g saturated fat, 31 g carbohydrate, 9 g protein, 3 g dietary fiber, 22 mg cholesterol, 542 mg sodium
Recipe provided by USDA MyPlate Kids Partner Group member: National Pasta Association