February Featured Vegetable:
Seasonal vegetables are the most flavorful,
often affordable, and more readily available.
Multiple varieties of mushrooms to try:
- Baby Bella
Mushroom Guide: Shopping, Storage, Preparation, and More
- Choose firm, unblemished caps without mold or wet spots.
- Refrigerate in an open plastic bag or in original store package for up to 1 week.
- Wipe dirt off with a damp cloth. Cut off the end of the stem.
- Eat raw, steamed, sautéed, roasted or grilled
- Tastes great with beef, chicken, egg, green beans, peas, quinoa or rice
- Season with garlic, oregano or parsley
Starting simple is a great way to try out a new vegetable, like mushrooms. Here are a couple easy ways to enjoy mushrooms.
- Add minced mushrooms to pasta sauce.
- Add sliced mushrooms to scrambled eggs
- Put sliced mushrooms on pizza as a topping.
Pan Roasted Chicken and Vegetables
Serves 4 (1/4 recipe servings)
- 8 red potatoes, washed and cut into 1-inch chunks
- ½ large onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 20 baby carrots
- 1 package (8 oz) mushrooms
- 4 (1½ pounds) bone-in chicken thighs, skin removed
- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1½ tsp dried rosemary, crushed
- ¾ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp paprika
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Spray 9x13 baking pan with cooking spray.
- In small bowl, whisk the roasting seasoning ingredients together.
- In a large bowl, combine potatoes, onions, mushrooms and carrots. Pour half of the roasting seasoning over the vegetables and toss to coat evenly. Spread vegetables in a single layer in the baking pan.
- Place the chicken in the bowl with the rest of the roasting seasoning. Toss to coat and place the chicken pieces over vegetables.
- Roast the vegetables and chicken in the oven until a thermometer inserted in chicken reads 170°-175° and vegetables are just tender, about 40-45 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve.
Nutrition Facts per serving: 470 calories; 13g fat; 75g carbohydrates;
17g protein; 8g sugars; 35mg cholesterol; 720mg sodium.
Recipe is an excerpt from I ❤️Vegetables book.
Free recipe cards below for download in English or Spanish.
- Winter Squash
- Sweet Potatoes
View our What’s In Season GUIDE for WINTER for a printable, 2-sided, complete list of fruits and vegetables in season plus shopping, storage, preparation, and start simple tips.