As a distant cousin to the potato, sweet potatoes have a flavor all their own plus Vitamin A and beta-carotene for added goodness. Try cooking with a combination of potatoes for a comforting winter meal. Here’s a simple hash recipe using Yukon Gold (Yellow) and Sweet Potatoes.
- 1 lb (about 10 small or 5 medium) Yukon Gold Potatoes, diced
- 1 large or 2 medium Sweet Potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1/2 large sweet onion, diced
- 4 oz. package Shitake Mushrooms, stems removed and sliced
- 3 Tbsp. cooking oil
- 1/3 -1/2 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
Heat cooking oil in a large non-stick sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add potatoes, sweet potatoes, onions and mushrooms. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Using a wooden spoon, toss the mixture to coat it with the oil.
Add the stock to the mixture and bring to a boil. Cover and cook until potatoes are done, about 7 minutes. Remove the lid and test potatoes with a fork. They are done if the fork slides easily into the potato.
Continue to cook with the lid off over medium-high heat about 7-10 minutes. Toss gently 1-2 times with a wooden spoon. Any liquid in the pan will evaporate and the potatoes will begin to brown and crisp around their edges. Serve hot.
Makes 6 servings.