- 2 heads of butter or Boston lettuce
- 1 lb. boneless chicken thighs, minced
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. cornstarch
- 7 Tbsp. cooking oil
- 2 tsp. ground ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2/3 Bamboo shoots, diced
- 2/3 Cup Carrots, diced
- 4 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp. rice wine or cooking sherry
- 2 Tbsp. rice vinegar
- ½ cup hoisin sauce
- ½ cup red pepper, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup cilantro. chopped
- Break off and wash whole lettuce leaves. Arrange on a plate and place in the refrigerator to remain crisp.
- In a plastic bag, mix together chicken, salt, cornstarch and 1 TBSP cooking oil. Let the chicken mixture marinate for 15-30 minutes.
- Heat 4 Tbsp. of cooking oil in a wok over high heat. Add chicken and stir fry for 2-3 minutes. Remove chicken from the wok. Add ginger & garlic to the wok. Then add bamboo shoots and carrots. Stir fry for 2-3 minutes. Add chicken, soy sauce, rice wine, and vinegar. Stir-fry over high heat until liquid is absorbed. Place chicken mixture is a large bowl.
Place bowl of chicken, cold lettuce leaves, hoisin sauce, and green onions on the table. Place one lettuce leaf on a plate and add a spoonful of chicken mixture in the middle of the lettuce leaf. Drizzle with hoisin sauce and sprinkle with red pepper and cilantro. Fold the lettuce leaves inward and eat with fingers.