- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (16 oz each) Mexican style tomatoes with mild green chilies (do not drain)
- 2 cans (15 oz each) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 oz) vegetable stoack
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- In a medium-size saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, and sauté for 5 minutes, until the onion is tender.
- In a blender or food processor, combine the onions, tomatoes and the beans. Process until smooth (this can be done in two batches, if necessary).
- In the medium saucepan, combine the bean mixture, broth and cumin. Cook over low heat for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve the soup hot, topping each bowl with any or all of the garnishes.
Soup Bar Topping ideas
Try any or all of these:
* Chopped cilantro
* Cubes of avocado
* Wedges of lemon or lime
* Sour cream
* Bacon bits
* Diced ham or chicken
* Shredded cheese
* Croutons or broiled cheese toasts