Here are few quick tips for adding more avocados into your family meals.
1. Avocado pizza: Top a pizza crust with pizza sauce, avocados, tomatoes, red bell peppers, red onions and feta cheese. Broil it.
2. Homemade salsa: Dice tomatoes, mangos, avocados, red onions, cilantro, and lime juice. Serve with chips for an after school snack or use it as a garnish with any meat, fish or eggs.
3. Spread avocado on sandwiches or hamburgers instead of mayo.
4. Add sliced or diced avocados to any salads or soups (when ready to serve).
5. Start the day with mashed avocado and fresh herbs (cilantro, garlic, or basil) on a bagel instead of cream cheese.
6. New twist on deviled eggs: Fill egg white halves with mashed avocados and spices instead of egg yolks and mayo.
7. Avocado milkshake: 1 avocado, 1/3 quart whole or soy milk, 3 tablespoons sugar, 2 scoops of vanilla frozen yogurt – Blend and Drink!
Yummy, Quick, Sweet treat: Spread some avocado right on a graham cracker. For an older toddler, add a few raisins and make “Ants on the grass”!
Age to introduce: About 9 months