Fresh and crunchy, celebrate August with Green Beans!
Veggie Guide: Shopping,
Storage, Preparation, and More
- Choose bright green, firm beans.
- Refrigerate unwashed in a plastic bag for up to 7 days.
- Rinse and cut or snap off ends.
- Eat raw, blanched, steamed, sautéed or grilled
- Tastes great with almonds, bacon, corn, mushrooms or potato
- Season with mustard, parsley, red pepper flakes or tarragon
Starting simple is a great way to try out a new vegetable, like green beans. Here are a couple easy ways to enjoy them.
- Serve fresh green beans with dip.
- Sprinkle steamed green beans with parmesan or feta cheese.
Green Beans, Corn and Bacon
- 2 strips bacon
- 1 ear sweet corn, kernels cut off cob
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 3/4 pound (12-oz) green beans, washed and trimmed
- Slice bacon into small (1/2 inch) pieces and fry in saucepan until crispy.
Remove bacon from pan and drain on paper towel. Set aside.
- Leave 1 Tbsp of bacon grease in the pan and add the corn kernels.
Cook about 5 minutes over medium high heat.
- Place beans in microwave-safe dish, cover and cook on HIGH for 3-4 minutes.
Toss with butter and place in serving dish.
- Spoon the corn mixture over the green beans and sprinkle with bacon bits. Serve.
Nutrition Facts per serving:
110 calories; 8g fat; 8g carbohydrates; 3g protein;
2g sugars; 25mg cholesterol; 85mg sodium.
Recipe is an excerpt from I ❤️Vegetables book.
Free recipe cards below for download in English or Spanish.
What Else is In Season
Other Vegetables in Season include:
- Bell Peppers
- Collard Greens
- Green Beans
- Lima Beans
- Summer Squash & Zucchini
View our What’s In Season GUIDE for SUMMER for a printable, 2-sided, complete list of fruits and vegetables in season plus shopping,
storage, preparation, and start simple tips.