Many main dishes taste so much better with a simple side of sautéed mushrooms. Try the basic recipe or take it to another level with one of our variation suggestions.
Slice 8 ounces of mushrooms (any variety or a mixture). In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil or butter over medium-high heat, and add the mushrooms to the skillet all at once. Cook, stirring occasionally until mushrooms are tender, liquid evaporates and they begin to brown, about 6 minutes. Salt and pepper, to taste.
Variations: About 2 minutes before the mushrooms are done cooking add:
- TEX-MEX: Add 3 tbsp cilantro, 1 Tbsp lime juice and 1 Tbsp chopped green onions
- THAI: Add 1/3 cup Thai peanut stir-fry and dipping sauce
- ITALIAN: Add 1 Tbsp lemon juice, 1-3 tbsp chopped parsley, 1 tsp garlic salt, and 1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- FRENCH: 1 tsp Herbs de Provence and 1 Tbsp butter
- JAPANESE: 1 Tbsp sesame oil, 1 tsp ground ginger, and 1 tsp soy sauce