This is indeed an indulgence! Every year at holiday time, my mom used to make rum cakes. These cakes were made as gifts for my dad’s biggest clients. Her rum cakes were famous and a delightful indulgence that was greatly appreciated by the prestigious group of recipients. Clients would call my dad and drop hints before the holidays to ensure they would still be on the “Rum Cake List” – many of them requested the recipe and they all raved about them. Enjoy!
- 1 box yellow butter cake mix (Duncan Hines)
- 1 small box instant vanilla or French vanilla pudding
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/2 cup rum
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup pecans (copped or halves)
- 1 stick butter or margarine
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup rum
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease and flour a bundt pan and cover bottom with the pecans. Combine cake mix, pudding mix, water, oil, eggs and rum. Follow the directions on the cake box for combining the ingredients using a mixer. Pour the cake batter into the bundt pan and bake one (1) hour. While the cake is cooking make the glaze.
- To make the glaze, cook all ingredients in a small saucepan over medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes. Stir constantly.
- Remove the cake from the oven and prick the cake in several places with a long-tined fork or chopstick. This will allow the glaze to soak in better. Pour the hot glaze over the cake (still in the pan) as soon as it is removed from oven. Let the cake stand in pan 30 minutes then remove from pan.