May Featured Vegetable:
The month of May features Popeye’s favorite vegetable – spinach. Spinach is a cool season vegetable that grows best in the spring and fall months.
Veggie Guide: Shopping,
Storage, Preparation, and More
- Choose crisp, dark green, even-colored leaves.
- Refrigerate washed and loosely wrapped in paper towel for up to 5 days.
- Soak in cold water and swish leaves to remove sand and dirt. Pat dry with paper towels.
- Eat raw, steamed or stir-fried
- Tastes great with fish, mushrooms, potato, sweet potato or white beans
- Season with garlic, ginger, red pepper flakes or salad dressing
Starting simple is a great way to try out a new vegetable, like spinach. Here are a couple easy ways to enjoy it.
- Add chopped spinach to ground meat for meatballs, tacos or burgers.
- A handful of spinach in a smoothie boosts nutrition but doesn’t change the flavor.
- Substitute lettuce with fresh spinach leaves in sandwiches, tacos and salads.
Serves 2 (8oz. servings)
- 1 ripe medium banana, peeled
- 1 apple, peeled and core removed
- 1 cup spinach leaves, tough stems removed
- 1/4 cup cold orange juice
- 1/4 cup cold 2% lowfat milk
- 6 ice cubes
- Chop apple and spinach leaves.
- Place banana, apple, spinach, orange juice, milk and ice cubes in a blender. Pulse a few times, then puree until smooth, scraping down the sides as necessary.
Nutrition Facts per serving: 150 calories; 1.5g fat; 33g carbohydrates;
5g protein; 20g sugars; <5mg cholesterol; 75mg sodium.
Recipe is an excerpt from I ❤️Vegetables book.
Free recipe cards below for download in English or Spanish.
What Else is In Season
Other Vegetables in Season include:
- Green Beans
- Greens: Kale, Chard, & Collards
View our What’s In Season GUIDE for SPRING for a printable, 2-sided, complete list of fruits and vegetables in season plus shopping,
storage, preparation, and start simple tips.