- Bones and trimmings from 1 turkey
- 5 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 cup whole kernel corn
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 1/2 cup uncooked rice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Combine turkey, water, salt, bay leaf, poultry seasoning and pepper in Dutch oven or large saucepan; bring to a boil. Lower heat to simmer and cook, covered, 3 to 4 hours. Remove bones; cut off meat and return meat to broth.
- Add carrots, corn, onion, celery and rice to broth. Simmer, covered, 30 minutes or until rice and vegetables are tender. Garnish with parsley.
Each serving provides 217 calories, 17 grams protein, 1 grams fat, 36 grams carbohydrate, 3 grams dietary fiber and 729 milligrams sodium.
Makes 4 servings
Recipe provided by USDA MyPlate Kids Partner Group member: USA Rice