Chutney is a popular Indian Condiment that is made from fruits or vegetables with vinegar, spices, and sugar. It is commonly served with roasted meats or vegetables and curries. It also makes a great snack with cream cheese and crackers.
- 3 large Granny Smith apples peeled, cored, and chopped
- 1/2 cup Onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup Golden Raisins
- 1/2 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 Tbsp. Fresh Ginger, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. Pumpkin Pie Spice
Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan and stir well. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 40 minutes. Let cool. Pour into a blender or food processor and process to a smooth texture. Pour the sauce into an ice cube tray, cover and freeze until ready to use.
Remove a chutney cube from the freezer, defrost and combine it with pureed or mashed beans, meats rice or vegetables. At the beginning, try a small amount of chutney and work your way up to more. Here are some winning combinations for tasty chutney-infused dining:
- Banana and Yogurt
- Pork, Butternut Squash and Brown Rice
- Roasted Cauliflower, White Potatoes and Black Beans
- Combine Apple Chutney with Vanilla Yogurt for great dipping sauce